Regain Your Youth - Enhance Your Health*
DHEA is a steroid hormone made in the adrenal gland from cholesterol through pregnenolone in the adrenal glands. It is vital in maintaining body homeostasis, as it balances the catabolic actions of cortisol and is easily converted into the sex hormones estrogen and testosterone depending on the body’s need. The sex hormones have many crucial roles within the body and it is critical to maintain sufficient levels of DHEA to build these hormones. It is recommended to work with your doctor to test for DHEA levels before beginning supplementation.
DHEA can help support:
Positive Outlook on Life*
Blood Lipid Metabolism*
Healthy Body Composition*
Balanced Blood Sugar and Insulin levels*
Typically, DHEA levels peak around age 20-24 and then decline at a rate of 20% every decade. Periods of chronic stress, including mental and physical stress, infections and chronic inflammatory conditions, can lead to insufficient DHEA levels in the body. Loss of muscle and bone mass, increased fat mass, and increased risk for Type 2 Diabetes and atherosclerosis have all been correlated with declining DHEA levels. Declining DHEA levels may explain the shift from anabolism to the catabolic processes associated with aging, including lean muscle tissue loss, memory loss, and bone loss1.
A 6 week, double-blind, placebo controlled trial demonstrated DHEA’s ability to aid in the treatment of major depression. Forty-five percent (45%) of the participants receiving DHEA (up to 90 mg/day) had a 50% or greater reduction in depressive symptoms (using Hamilton Depression Scale ratings). None of the participants in the placebo group showed a 50% or greater reduction in depressive symptom relief2.
Another study conducted on elderly men and women with low DHEA levels showed DHEA’s ability to counteract age-related changes in body composition and bone mineral density3. The study duration was 12 months and participants received 50 mg of DHEA per day.DHEA supplementation showed the following statistically significant results: increased bone mineral density of the total body and lumbar spine, decreased fat mass, increased fat-free mass, andincreased IGF-1 and total serum testosterone levels.
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial demonstrated the ability of DHEA supplementation to increase serum DHEA levels, increase the bioavailability of IGF-1 within the body, and improve perceived physical and psychological well-being in both men and women4. Each participant received 3 months of DHEA supplementation (50 mg per day) and 3 months of placebo. As a result of DHEA supplementation, there was a statistically significant increase in serum DHEA levels within 2 weeks for both men and women. The most intriguing result was the fact that DHEA supplementation increased serum IGF-1 levels by approximately 10% while decreasing IGFBP-1 levels by 19%. This combination leads to an increased bioavailability of IGF-1 levels (as IGFBP-1 normally binds to IGF-1 and decreases its activity). After 12 weeks of DHEA supplementation, a majority of women (82%) and men (67%) reported an improved sense of well-being whereas less than 10% reported any change after placebo treatment (based on self-reported data).
1. Watson, R.R., Huls, A., Araghinikuam, M. & Chung, S. (1996) Dehydroepiandrosterone and diseases of aging. Drugs & Aging, 9, 274±291.
2. Wolkowitz, O. M., Reus, V. I., Keebler, A., Nelson, N., Friedland, M., Brizendine, L., & Roberts, E. (1999). Double-blind treatment of major depression with dehydroepiandrosterone. American Journal of Psychiatry, 156(4), 646-649.
3. Villareal, D. T., Holloszy, J. O., & Kohrt, W. M. (2000). Effects of DHEA replacement on bone mineral density and body composition in elderly women and men. Clinical endocrinology, 53(5), 561-568.
4. Morales, A. J., Nolan, J. J., Nelson, J. C., & Yen, S. S. (1994). Effects of replacement dose of dehydroepiandrosterone in men and women of advancing age. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 78(6), 1360-1367.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.