Regulating Blood Sugar To Maximize Your Health, Energy Levels and Reduce Weight
Insulin and blood sugar regulation is one of our premier goals when trying to maintain youthfulness and vitality. High insulin levels and hyperglycemia (or high blood sugar) are linked to increased levels of inflammation and hormone imbalances that can contribute to a host of chronic diseases, including diabetes.
Approximately 29.1 million Americans have diabetes and another 86 million are considered pre-diabetic. A pre-diabetic is an individual who has begun to lose his or her body’s ability to regulate blood sugar levels. It is estimated that diabetes is the primary cause of death for 69,071 Americans each year and is the 7th leading cause of death in the United States. The estimated total cost of diagnosed diabetes in the United States in 2012 was $245 billion.1
Decreased insulin sensitivity and abnormal blood sugar control can cause:
• Low energy levels
• Erectile Dysfunction
• Increased Inflammation
• Hunger Cravings
• Weight Gain
• Kidney Disease
• Poor Circulation
• Heart Attack and Stroke
Prescription drugs designed to improve insulin sensitivity and regulate blood sugar, such as Metformin, can cause many unwanted side effects and may not provide a significant clinical benefit.
Common side effects of oral diabetic drugs include:2
• Abdominal discomfort/pain
• Lactic acid build up/Muscle soreness
• Weight gain
Sugar Balance is a clinically-effective formula containing powerful ingredients designed to improve insulin sensitivity and enhance blood glucose (sugar) control.* The formula includes the master antioxidant, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA), a rare herb, Banaba (Lagerstromeia Speciosa Leaf extract), and key vitamins and trace minerals that help enhance or repair the glucose signaling pathways within the body.*
Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA)
A naturally occurring antioxidant, ALA has the ability to protect the cells of the body and improve insulin sensitivity by enhancing glucose transport and signaling. In one placebo controlled trial, subjects using 600 mg of ALA increased their insulin sensitivity by 15% in 28 days.3In another study using diabetic patients, those receiving 600 mg of ALA for >3 months experienced significantly lower measures of oxidative stress compared to those not receiving the treatment.4
Lagerstromeia Speciosa Leaf Extract (Banaba)
Banaba extract contains a compound called corsolic acid that has the ability to decrease blood sugar levels within 60 minutes of administration and aid in weight management.5 In one study, subjects receiving Banaba extract experienced a 12% decrease in fasting blood sugar and an average 3 pound weight loss after 2 weeks as a result of improved blood glucose management.5No adverse events have been reported in human studies using Banaba supplementation, including one study where subjects received Banaba for up to one year.6
Vanadium + Chromium
Vanadium and Chromium are both key trace minerals involved in carbohydrate metabolism and insulin sensitivity. In one study, subjects using 100 mcg of chromium twice per day saw significant improvement in their hemoglobin A1c levels as well as glucose, insulin, and cholesterol levels7. Another 6 week study using 150 mcg vanadium, subjects experienced a significant improvement in their glycemic control, including a 20% decrease in fasting blood sugar and a 6% decrease in their A1c level.8
1. Statistics about Diabetes. (2014, June 10). Retrieved September 24, 2015
2. The Oral Diabetes Drugs: Treating Type 2 Diabetes. (n.d.). Retrieved September 24, 2015
3. Jacob, S., Ruus, P., Hermann, R., Tritschler, H. J., Maerker, E., Renn, W., ... & Rett, K. (1999). Oral administration of rac-α-lipoic acid modulates insulin sensitivity in patients with type-2 diabetes mellitus: a placebo-controlled pilot trial. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 27(3), 309-314.
4. Borcea, V., Nourooz-Zadeh, J., Wolff, S. P., Klevesath, M., Hofmann, M., Urich, H., ... & Nawroth, P. P. (1999). α-Lipoic acid decreases oxidative stress even in diabetic patients with poor glycemic control and albuminuria. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 26(11), 1495-1500.
5. S. Tsuchibe, S. Kataumi, M.Mori, and H.Mori, “An inhibitory effect on the increase in the postprandial glucose by banaba extract capsule enriched corosolic acid,” Journal for the Integrated Study of Dietary Habits, vol. 17, pp. 255–259, 2006.
6. Miura, T., Takagi, S., & Ishida, T. (2012). Management of diabetes and its complications with banaba (Lagerstroemia speciosa L.) and corosolic acid. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2012.
7. Anderson, R. A., Cheng, N., Bryden, N. A., Polansky, M. M., Cheng, N., Chi, J., & Feng, J. (1997). Elevated intakes of supplemental chromium improve glucose and insulin variables in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes, 46(11), 1786-1791.
8. Cusi, K., Cukier, S., DeFronzo, R. A., Torres, M., Puchulu, F. M., & Redondo, J. P. (2001). Vanadyl Sulfate Improves Hepatic and Muscle Insulin Sensitivity in Type 2 Diabetes 1. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism,86(3), 1410-1417.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
WARNING: Consuming this product can expose you to chemicals including lead, which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/food.